As we have seen in the past few months, this winter has been anything but typical. The warm temperatures and lack of snow have made it difficult to enjoy a traditional New England winter by venturing out into the snow for entertainment. However, there are plenty of events taking place across Massachusetts this month that will keep you entertained and help you fight off a case of the winter blues!
- Are you a fan of Mexican food? The Rattlesnake Bar and Grill in Boston is holding their second annual Burrito Bowl in honor of the Super Bowl. This event will bring together some of the top chefs in Boston and have them compete to create the best Burrito. Each chef will create a burrito named after the city of their favorite NFL team. Attendees and special guest “referee” judges will determine the winner. The event costs about $17 per person and begins this Saturday, February 4th from 1:00-4:00 PM. https://poesburritobowl.eventbrite.com/
- Even though the Olympic Winter Games do not take place this year you can still get your sports fix by attending the 2012 Bay State Winter Games from February 10-12th in the Northern Berkshire region of Massachusetts. Sporting events include alpine skiing, figure skating, and masters ice hockey competitions. http://baystategames.org/html/bsgwww/wintergames/index.html
- Looking for an event that will get the whole family up and out this winter? Check out the Winter Family Fun Safari taking place Saturday February 11th at 1:00 PM in Milton, MA. It is a free event and families can meet up at Houghton Pond before exploring the woods and going on a hike to Rutherford explore what happens throughout nature during the winter. This is a great family friendly event that is educational and a great source of exercise! http://friendsofthebluehills.org/?p=4139
- Salem, MA is celebrating the season of love this year by hosting the 10th annual “Salem’s So Sweet” chocolate and ice sculpture festival. Admire the beautiful ice sculptures lining the streets of downtown Salem before stopping in a local establishment for some chocolate and wine tasting! http://salem-chamber.org/salems-so-sweet-44.html
- Want to really surprise that special someone this Valentine’s day? The Top of the Hub is offering a four-course prix-fix menu on Tuesday, February 14th from 4:00-10:00 PM. The event costs $125 per person (which does not include drinks, tax, or gratuity) and although it is a bit pricey the view from the top of the Prudential Building and romance factor can’t be beat. http://calendar.boston.com/boston-ma/events/show/239027644-top-of-the-hub-celebrates-valentines-day
- Nick’s Comedy Stop, located within the Theater District of Boston, is hosting an Open Mic Night Thursday, February 16th featuring some of the most entertaining up and coming comedy acts in Boston. Stop by for a few drinks and laughs to get your evening started on the right note. Tickets are $12 per person and the event begins at 8:00 PM. https://openmicfeb.eventbrite.com/?ref=ebtn&nomo=1
- You may have thought pageant season was over after the Miss USA pageant last month, however luckily you would be mistaken. The Miss Boston 2012 pageant takes place Sunday, February 19th at 5:00 PM at the Omni Parker House in Boston. Contestants will compete for the chance to move on to the Miss Massachusetts pageant in June and will compete in interview, talent, swim suit, and evening wear categories. http://www.missboston.org/Miss_Boston_2012_Pageant.html
- Explore the nautical side of New England this winter in Provincetown and meet Delilah! Delilah is an inflatable, life sized North Atlantic Right Whale that guests can tour while learning about these rare and beautiful animals. There are only 475 of these whales left in the world and over 300 of those whales visited Cape Cod Bay in 2011. This is a free event taking place on February 24th from 11:00 AM-12:15 PM. http://www.capecodmagazine.com/Cape-Cod-Magazine/Calendar/index.php/name/MEET-DELILAH-THE-RIGHT-WHALE/event/8313/
- Before the start of baseball season and after the Super Bowl mania has come to an end, all of you sports fans can still get a taste of the excitement at the Golden Gloves Boxing tournament in Lowell, MA. The event is held annually and takes place on five different nights throughout the month of February as contestants try to move their way up through the competition. This event has launched the careers of boxing legends such as Sugar Ray Leonard, Micky Ward, and Rocky Marciano. For ticket information visit http://www.lowellgoldengloves.com/3/online_payment.htm
Make sure that you enjoy the rest of this winter by getting up and out! Whatever your interests are, there is an event for everyone taking place this February across Massachusetts!