The summer months are now upon us, the weather is warmer and the kids are getting out of school, which means popular destinations like the beach are going to be more crowded than ever! If you’re looking for a way to avoid the crowds of sunbathers, check out some of these events going on this month! Whether you want to get out and soak up the sun or stay inside to beat the heat, there is something for everyone to look forward to this June.
- Children’s Hospital Walk – If you’re looking for the perfect family event look no further. There’s no better way to spend the day than by helping out a worthy cause and getting some exercise! NSTAR’s walk for the Children’s Hospital of Boston is a yearly event aimed at raising money for the hospital to continue their research and continuously improve patient care. The walk is Sunday, June 10 and begins at the Hatch Shell in Cambridge. The 7 mile walk begins at 11AM or there is a shorter, 2 mile walk that begins at noon. You can register in advance ($25 fee for adults, $5 fee for children), or at the event itself ($35 fee for adults, $10 for children). Come out and support a great cause while enjoying a summer afternoon walking along the Charles!
- Cape Cod Chowder Festival – If there’s one thing we are famous for here in Massachusetts it’s our seafood. And there’s no better spot to sample some authentic New England chowder than down on the Cape. The Cape’s best restaurants will be competing for the prized COD Chowder Bowl on Sunday, June 10 in Hyannis, MA inside the Cape Cod Melody Tent. The event begins at noon and there will also be live entertainment from local bands. Tickets are $17 for adults and $5 for children.
- Massachusetts Symphony Orchestra Summer Concert– Who doesn’t love a free concert? The Boston Symphony Orchestra, led by Alton Baggett, is ringing in the town of Millbury’s 200th Birthday celebration on Saturday, June 16 at Windle Field in Millbury, MA. The concert begins at 8PM and will go until approximately 10PM. There will be patriotic, classical, and Broadway music, bring the whole family and set up a blanket on the grass while also enjoying the firework display!
- A Wild Affair– The Stone Zoo in Stoneham, Massachusetts is hosting their 8th Annual “A Wild Affair” tasting event Saturday, June 23 from 5:30-9:30 PM. This popular event, which drew a crowd of over 600 people last year features tasting stations from local restaurants and caterers. Guests can enjoy some live entertainment, bid on items in a silent auction, and walk amongst the animals at the zoo all while enjoying food from popular local companies. Participating restaurants and caterers include, Edible Arrangements, Polcari’s, Buffalo Wild Wings, Piantedosi Baking Company, Harrows Chicken Pies, The Dockside Restaurants, and much more. Tickets are $50 in advance and $60 the night of the event. This event is 21+ only.
- Miss Massachusetts 2012 – This competition is a Preliminary to the Miss America organization and will crown Miss Massachusetts 2012, who will later go on to compete in the Miss America Pagent. The competition begins Friday, June 29 and concludes on the next night, Saturday June 30th. You can watch the magic happen at the Hanover Theater for the Performing Arts in Worcester, MA. All contestants will compete in Talent, Evening wear, onstage questions and swimsuit. Tickets are $27 for Friday night and $37 for Saturday night. Don’t miss your chance to see this exciting event live before Miss Massachusetts moves on to compete for the title of Miss America!
Don’t let these events pass you by this month! There’s something for everyone to do whether it be a walk for charity, food tasting, concert, or competition. There are so many events and activities to do throughout the summer to get you out and about, so take advantage of them!
Photo By: Dennis Wright