Now that you’ve purchased auto insurance, you may be wondering “what exactly does it cover?” Check out the commonly asked questions below to get a better understanding of your auto insurance:

Can I drive a friend’s car?

If you borrow the car with a friends permission, and they insure the vehicle, yes! If you friend has not insured the vehicle make sure your auto insurance has sufficient coverage and you should be good to go.

What if I’m driving a friend’s car and involved in an accident?

The vehicle owner’s insurance is considered the primary auto insurance policy. In other words, is someone else owns and insures a vehicle you are driving, their policy will pay in the event of an accident. However if your friends auto insurance does not have sufficient coverage your auto insurance policy will kick in and cover – up to your policy limits – what is left to pay. For example let’s say you cause $10,000 worth of damage and your friend’s insurance policy will only pay up to $8,000 of the damage. Your auto insurance policy will pay the remaining $2,000 of damage if the charges are within policy limits.

What if I borrow someone’s car with out permission?

If you fall under this category and find yourself pulled over or in an accident you will be facing serious consequences. If you’re pulled over without the vehicle owner’s permission you may be facing criminal charges. If you are involved in an accident while using an auto without permission not only will you be facing criminal charges but paying all damages out of pocket.

Can I borrow my vehicle to someone on a regular basis who does not have insurance?

Unless a person using your vehicle on a regular basis is added to your policy as an occasional driver, chances are they will not be covered. The main idea behind this is for someone who is going to be regularly driving a vehicle to be either added to your policy or purchase one of their own.

What if my car is involved in a hit-and-run?

If your vehicle is involved in a hit-and-run, and you did not do the running, you may be able to collect from your own insurance agency. However only if you have purchased uninsured motorist coverage. If you have this coverage your insurance will pay up to policy limits the amount of damage done to your vehicle. This type of coverage is a key part of any insurance policy involving a hit and run or accidents when other drivers involved are not insured.